Monday, May 15, 2006

Norway and QM2 in the News

So most of you have probably heard by now (thanks to CNN, BBC and SkyNews) that there was a death aboard the QM2. This is slightly true.

During lunch time, in the crew mess several days ago, a Filipino crew member (unnamed) attacked one of the ships asst. electrician's in full view of the ships crew. Rumors vary but the main story is that he hit him from behind with a hammer and ran (thankfully I wasnt there to see it). The crew member suffered critical injuries and was airlifted off the QM2 within an hour and a half of the incident. Unfortunately, he passed away after he left the ship.

The authorities joined the ship in Bergen, Norway and the attacker was taken off the ship temporarily while the police investigated. The ship left the port on time but with the assailant and police staying on board. The police will hand over the suspect to British authorities when we arrive in 2 days and he will be prosecuted there.

The ship's crew is still in shock and collecting money for the victim's family (wife and two children). Police tape and blockades are still up in the crew mess, so I try to avoid the area as much as possible. A mass and moment of silence have already taken place with the ships priest, Captain and Cunard Counselor.

Ok, back to Norway. Norway is absolutely gorgeous (and extremely expensive). They use Kroner (spelling?) for their currency. Only the 100 and 50 are in paper form. All other currency is in change. The rate is about 5 kroner to 1 dollar and I got two slices of pizza and a soda for about 68 kroner. So my souveneir shopping for all three ports was minimal. I was able to see Bergen and Aelsund, but I was port manning for the second stop in Flamm.

Flamm seemed to be the most beautiful port so I took pics from deck 13. I tried getting a hold of those little plastic viking helmets as a gift for my mom and step-dad, but they only sold them in Flamm and ... yeah... port manning.

We're on our way back to Southampton, which I'll probably miss again for the fourth time because we have to do lighting maintenance. But then it's on to New York then we're doing a charter for the Merryl Lynch company down the eastern coast of America. This means lots of T-mobile time. :-) I love those weekend minutes.

Miss you all, can't wait for July 3rd, I may spend a few extra days in New York before flying home just so I can actually see it without having to rush back to the ship. Sorry guys.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love ya can't wait to see you wish I could join you in New York then we could really eat some pizza and some hot dogs in Coney Island lov mom