Saturday, April 29, 2006

Brooklyn

Today I got to see my Mom and Eddie in Brooklyn, NY. It was quite a long day.

It began at 6:15am when my alarm clock woke me so I could go to the 6:30am Immigration inspection. I stood in line for 30 minutes so an official could look at my passport, look at me and say "next." He had to do that for all 2000 crew members so it took quite a while. It also was unfortunate that every single crew member had to be cleared before crew shore leave was granted (that didn't happen until about 10:30am). I had to go pound on my neighbors door at 8:00am to remind them to go get checked so they could go back to sleep. And even at 8:00am people were still not showing up to get checked.

Anyways, we finally made it off the ship and I was able to meet mom and Eddie at the gangway. Mom sniffled, but didn't cry. I took them on a tour of the ship starting with my cabin and I loved my mom's response on first seeing it. "Two people live in here?" Yes, it's a tiny cabin, but we actually have one of the largest crew cabins because it used to belong to a married couple.

Then I took them up to deck 2 to meet the boss and drop off keys, we headed up to deck 3 to see the Planetarium, the Royal Court Theater and then the Grand Lobby. We headed to the back of the ship to see the Photo Gallery, then the Queen's Room, and finally the night club G32 (named after the ships engineering title before she was named the Queen Mary 2).

We headed up to deck 7 to see the Winter Garden and got a great shot of the Statue of Liberty. Then we jumped on the crew shuttle bus to Fulton Street where I did $80 worth of shopping at Target. I needed a bunch of stuff especially since we won't be back this way for a while. I hate trying to buy necessities in other countries because I don't know if I'm getting a good deal or not while trying to convert dollars into whatever it is they use.

Lunch was a really good hot dog from a street vendor (don't say ewww until you've eaten the crew food on this ship). We ate some ice cream at Baskin Robbins and said our good-byes (mom cried) from Fulton St. I made it back to the ship and participated in the passenger drill at 4:30pm then headed back to my cabin. My cabin mate and Bam Bam (Andrew) were waiting there with boxes of pizza so we ate and watched Team America for a while.

They headed off to do tonights show and I headed up to deck 13 to watch the sailaway from New York. We passed under the Verrazano (sp?) bridge again and the passengers cheered when we crossed under because it's only a 13 foot clearance from the ships smoke stack to the bottom of the bridge. It's an amazing sight and I braved the cold to get an mpeg.

I got to talk to my dad and send out some text messages. Plus I sent out this link again with a reminder to you all to check it during the daylight. http://www.cunard.com/qm2

I miss everyone! I can't wait to see Robyn and Danny's puppy and get home to some good old fashioned food. I'm going to have to buy some exercise equipment just to keep the weight off.

Laters!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, sorry we didn't think of it sooner, or we maybe could have gone to see you too. Hope you are having some fun, and glad you got to have some pizza. Sounds like you are always busy. No movie stars on board? Hopefully you'll get a chance to see some part of England. Can't wait to see pictures. We got great news today at work, our whole office is moving to Anaheim, alot closer, and less gas. It's over $3 a gallon now. At least you don't have to drive to work, ha ha. Not sure if you are hearing on the news about all the Immigration Protests all over the US. Today coming home from work, alot of Highway Patrol cars were heading down the freeway with the lights and sirens, not sure if they were heading to downtown Santa Ana, because they were suppose to have a protest there. There was suppose to be one in Fullerton, but not sure where. Well, past my bedtime alarm goes off I think at 3:30am, Richard has to be at work at 5am in Long Beach. He is wathcing Prison Break. ZZZ, oops, better sign off now before I really fall asleep. Take care and have fun. WHO IS CASEY GAY?

Anonymous said...

So good seeing you. I will have enchiladas waiting when you come home maybe Andrea can come down again and stay- will go to Ryans game tues wed and sat will get his treasure to him hopefully today= dont forget to see if you can get him a t-shirt and mom too! ok see ya love ya

Anonymous said...

Hi Roxanne,

Sorry I haven't written to you in a while....Time just seems to get away.

I am so glad to hear that you got to see your Mom and Eddie. I bet it was good to see family. There is no place like New York. It is a whole world of its own.

I love looking at the pictures that you posted. I hope that you will have an opportunity to keep posting more.

The Lakers are out. They lost and the Clippers are still in it. Oscar De La Hoya won his fight last night. That is about it for the current events.

Travis is getting close to closing out his senior year at Fullerton High School. Megan is subbing in the same class that I work in tomorrow. The students are in the middle of state testing. They are all doing a great job. They are under so much pressure to do well.

David's company has been sold again. I think they have been bought and sold too many times to count in the many years that he has worked there. I think they are undergoing some restructuring. They always try to come in with new ideas to cut overtime. But, it never seems to work out because they can't get the product in to the stores by cutting out the overtime. I guess time will let them know that it takes the drivers a long time to get the product delivered. Whatever!

Megan and I went to the Antique Roundup at Cal State this morning. Man am I tired. I cannot do that much walking anymore.

Well take care and keep sending the updates.

Love,

Your Nina, Rosie