Friday, March 31, 2006

The Cape and Uruguay

So we finally rounded the cape of South America. Took forever because the captain did a loop so the boat could see it again. I don't know why it was so interesting that it required us to pass it a second time. It was just really rocky with some amazing waves crashing all around. The boat was getting tossed around good. I took some mpeg's of it with the camera and you can see just how much the bow of the ship is moving up and down. Most of the crew got a bit sea sick from the waves, but I fared pretty well. Got a head ache and didn't have much of an apetite but I did ok.

I did just have a cold though. (Yes I'm dressing warm mom) It only lasted two days and I got loads of medicine from the medical center. They really stock you up with medicine when you need it. I went in, saw the doctor within 5 minutes and walked out 10 minutes later with cough lozenges, cough syrup and some aspirin. I slept well and drank a ton of water and poof! All better.

So I didn't get to see Argentina. I was sick, but we were only there for a few hours so they didn't allow any crew to debark so we wouldn't inconvenience the passengers. So I just slept. Didn't see much except from what was visible from the port windows in the crew mess. Didn't look like much to see anyways. The port was far from where we were anchored so the passengers had to take the tenders (the little boats) to shore. My friend Andrew was lucky to be assigned to a passenger tour so he got to go ashore. He was taken on a boat ride and saw seals and penguins. He got me two postcards and a little tiny penguin doll. So it wasn't a total loss.

Today we're in Montevideo, Uruguay. The ship was actually able to dock so I went off shore with Andrew and some other crew. We had lunch at a really nice little restaurant. I got a sirloin beef steak, fries, sprite and half a litre of beer for $13. I also got some postcards and really cute ceramic shot glass. We all walked around looking at the little shops and the sites but had to return to get deck 8 ready for the deck party tonight. Luckily its really hot outside and its expected to be really warm tonight. Last time we did the deck party was on the other side of the continent close to the equator so it was about 80 degrees out at 10pm at night.

I'm going to try to mail some postcards home today to Mom, Dad and Robyn/Danny. I was told the pursar's office sells stamps and will take the postcards right there to be shipped out in the next port. As for New York, I don't know where the port is exactly, but I know it's in Brooklyn. No one on the crew knows the exact name of the port, but we should be there April 15th.

The caribbean is after Rio De Janeiro but of the 3 stops were making, I'll only be able to see St. Kitt's unless I can find someone willing to switch port mannings with me. I may have to give up a day in Rio for it. I don't think anyone would really be willing to give up Barbados though. Sigh...

Ok that's it for today folks, miss you all. I'm learning a lot. I'm running the Grand Ma (light board) for Royal Court Theater more frequently. And the lighting engineer is leaving when we get to South Hampton but so far Cunard hasn't found a replacement. ;-) Maybe there's hope for a promotion or at least more training. My boss said by the end of the contract, Andrew and I will probably be fully trained on how to do the lighting engineer's job. Yay! Disney, here I come!

No comments: