Tuesday, February 15, 2005

half an electric

Class started at 10am, we only had 2 hours today and the first hour was spent listening to Bill lecture. He set my trims on the masking so that was nice. (I hate that part)

Then I focused one light.... that changed after he pointed out some issues with it... so I moved Olivia's set upstage, flew in the first, moved the light back to its original position, added a fresnel to it, changed the circuit of a Data Flash, flew it back out, had the guys flag the electrics on the lock rail, and searched for missing paperwork.

When that was all done... I sent Rich and Keith (master electrician) up in the genie lift. Junior was dead so Ryan couldn't focus at the same time. And he wasn't up for focusing on the A-frame (pussy... just kidding... my trims are way fucking high) Damn set (oh did I say that outside of a parenthesis?)

We started with the proscenium pipe, the numbers were wrong on my paperwork. I couldn't understand why the dimmers I called out were coming up wrong. I assumed it was my fault (bad job at transferring numbers from the plot to vectorworks then to excel). Then I decided to check on my rookie light board op (maybe she was doing something wrong). She was doing fine as far as I could tell. Then my master electrician started calling out numbers from up above, looking at the labels on the connector. He called out 222 so Teresa brought it up, and a different light came on.

BINGO! The socko cables were plugged in wrong upstairs to the back of the rolling dimmer rack. There's no reason for those to be changed. Why would someone unplug the socko connectors? Socko that's permanently labeled for specific circuits. (Am I spelling socko right?)

We were finally able to get focusing steady at about 11:45.

So at 12:15, class was way past over, and we only had HALF OF ONE ELECTRIC focused. I can't believe I'm supposed to be building light cues on Friday. And Zach's show opens this weekend so he'll get priority, but he only has some circuiting problems to deal with. The theater manager doesn't like the way some cables were ran I guess.

Humf.

So now I'm dealing with bad transfers from Vectorworks to Excel. Vectorworks paperwork publishing is awful. So I copy and paste into Excel to make it pretty, but Vectorworks only publishes stuff it thinks is important. If you decided to use a specifically created symbol, as opposed to a symbol created within the resource browser, it doesn't list the name of the "instument" and creates something really confusing to look at. (It's kind of hard to explain). Basically, the theater manager's template for all designers to start off with has buried symbols that conflict with the light design. I wound up copying and pasting lights just to avoid some of the confusion. (And convert to instrument didn't help this situation).

Maybe I'll get some work done tomorrow, but doubtful. I'd only have the theater from 4 to 5:30, not a lot of time to get stuff done. Especially with a limited supply of manpower.

No comments: